Friday, September 30, 2011

SHOPPING FOR BREAKFAST

Mother Rabbit and her babies sat quietly in a patch of beautiful green grass out by the garden. Mother Rabbit said to her babies, “Sit still and brush each others fur until I return with breakfast.”

Mother Rabbit was hopping joyfully along when she met Frog. Frog took a giant leap in front of her.

Mother Rabbit said, “Oh hello Frog. My goodness you startled me!”
Frog replied in a strong voice, “Hello Rabbit, where are you going, if you don’t mind me asking?”

Mother Rabbit replied in a nice, calm voice, “I’m going to the market to buy breakfast for my little ones. Frog, would you and your babies care to join us for breakfast?”
 “Yes, thank you so very much,” replied Frog.

Mother Rabbit said, “I do not have time to visit right now Frog, I must hurry along!”
“Of course,” answered Frog, “We will see you later.”

As Mother Rabbit got closer to the market, she saw Bird flying close to the ground.

Mother Rabbit called: “Bird, oh Bird, isn’t it a lovely morning? Why are you flying so low, is something wrong?”
Bird replied, “Yes it is a beautiful morning! Nothing is wrong; I’m off to the market to get breakfast for my babies.”
“Where are you off to Rabbit?” asked Bird.

Rabbit joyfully answered, “I’m off to the market to get breakfast for my babies.”

“Rabbit, oh Rabbit, I wonder if I could trouble you to bring me a cup of seeds for my young ones?”

“Well yes Bird, it would give me great pleasure to bring a cup of seeds for your babies!” said Rabbit.
“Oh thank you so very, very much!” said Bird.

Mother Rabbit continued on her journey. She heard a soft whisper. “Oh dear, I wonder who could that be?” she said. Mother Rabbit discovered Squirrel slowly moving in the beautiful, green grass.
Rabbit called with a gentle voice, “Squirrel, Squirrel, isn’t it a beautiful morning? It’s so good to see you out and about like Frog and Bird!”
 Squirrel answered, “Yes it is a beautiful morning, Rabbit. I’m enjoying the early morning breeze, and looking for delicious nuts for my family!”
“Well Squirrel,” said Rabbit, “I have no time to chat; my babies are waiting for breakfast. Maybe you and your babies will join us later!”
 “We would be very happy to join you,” said Squirrel. “Thank you so much!”

  Mother Rabbit finally arrived at the market. Rabbit sang as she carefully chose healthy food for her babies. Rabbit hopped and shopped until she found the seeds Bird requested. Looking closely, she found extra nuts for Squirrel and her babies. Rabbit finished her shopping she said “goodbye” to the shoppers in line behind her.

Mother Rabbit hopped slowly down the trail to the patch of grass. On the way back, Squirrel noticed Rabbit struggling with her bags of food.

Rabbit called out, “Squirrel would you please give me a hand?”
 “Well of course, I would be delighted to!” Squirrel replied.
 “Thank you so much,” said Rabbit.

Mother Rabbit and Squirrel chatted as they strolled slowly down the trail. Bird was still flying low to the ground. “Bird would you like to give us a hand? Well never mind,” Mother Rabbit said. “That might be a little difficult for you, since you need both wings to fly about. Just follow along and join us for breakfast.”
“I surely will,” said Bird.

Mother Rabbit, Squirrel and Bird noticed Frog still leaping high around and about.
“Frog, we are headed back to the patch, please come and join us for breakfast.”
“I will, I will!” answered Frog as he hopped along with them. “I wish I could help, but I think I’m leaping too high to carry a bag.”
“Oh don’t worry Frog, you are welcome anyway!” Mother Rabbit replied.

When they reached Rabbit’s nest, the babies were quietly waiting. Frog, Bird, and Squirrel shouted, “Oh, dear! We must go back and get our babies.”

“Oh please do, and hurry back,” replied Rabbit.


Copyright © 2006 Joyce Newsome-Hargrove

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a very cute childrens story. My 6yr old loved reading it once she got home from school. She will put it down as one of her weekly reading books for homework.

Thanks

Anonymous said...

My children loved reading this story. My 6yr old will add this to her weekly homework reading log.

Thanks, we will be waiting for more stories.